CLIVAR participated in the first WCRP Meeting of RFPs for Asia and Oceania
The first WCRP Meeting (online) of the Regional Focal Points (RFPs) for Asia and Oceania was held on 12 October 2020, attended by 25 participants, among which, eight are representatives selected by WCRP to act as focal points by the region; and the others are representatives from WCRP Joint Steering Committee (JSC), WCRP Secretariat and International Project Offices (IPOs). Dr Fangli Qiao and Dr Roxy Mathew Koll are RFPs from CLIVAR.
During this first meeting, the purpose of WCRP Regional Consultations and the role of WCRP Regional Focal Points, as well as the aim and design of the regional Virtual Town Halls (VTHs) was briefly introduced by Helen Cleugh, vice chair of the WCRP JSC. Participants then focused on the discussion on the design and organisations of VTHs, and agreed on the following actions and will start preparing the VTHs soon:
- To decide the number of VTHs in the Asia and Oceania Region (by considering both geographic spread and specific domains) and the timelines for the VTHs;
- Besides science talks, the best practice on using science for decision making may also be included in the VTHs;
- Engage with key co-sponsors and partners;
- To have a registration system for the VTHs;
- A contact database will be developed with the inputs from RFPs;
- Logistic issues (registration system; videoconference platforms; other tools; host(s) of each VTH, and etc.) will be taken care by WCRP Secretariat and supporting IPOs;
- Background documents and guidance will be prepared prior to the VTHs to facilitate the effective discussion;
- RFPs will break into subgroups to help organise the VTHs.