Jose Santos represents CLIVAR in panel for the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development
Several Institutions in Ecuador organized an international panel to discuss the possible contributions of the country to the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030) which has the goal to support efforts to reverse the cycle of decline in ocean health and gather ocean stakeholders worldwide behind a common framework that will ensure ocean science can fully support countries in creating improved conditions for sustainable development of the Ocean.
The panel took place in Guayaquil, on 14th August 2019, at the Auditorium of the Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral, and had the participation of delegates from several international organizations:
- Salvatore ARICÒ . Head of the Ocean Science Section, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission. (Opening Remarks by Teleconference)
- Méntor Villagómez, Secretary General of the Permanent Commission of the South Pacific.
- Rodney Martínez, Director of the International Research Center on El Niño.
- Xavier Chalén, delegate International Conservancy.
- José Santos, Executive Director of the International CLIVAR Project Office.
It also had the participation of representatives of some national organizations:
- María del Pilar Cornejo, Dean of the Faculty of Marine Sciences, ESPOL
- Leonardo Alvarado, director of Oceanography from INOCAR.
- María Verónica Córdova, Director of Marine Coastal Programs at the Minister of Environment.
- Nikita Gaibor, director National Fisheries Institute.